Don’t set it and forget it – Social’s Greatest Mantra
Many businesses are still gun-shy when it comes to amplifying their marketing reach with social media. The excuses are many, and some are valid:
- I’m too small to need social media.
- It’s going to take too much time that I don’t have.
- What if someone says they don’t like my product/services?
- I just don’t see how ‘tweeting’ is going to make me money.
- I already advertise.
- Start slow, start with a Facebook business “page” (not a personal profile). You’ll need a personal profile to establish a page.
- Start a Twitter account, use our helpful guide to get on the fast track.
- Slowly tell your three “F”s – your “friends, fans and followers,” that you have these pages up and ask them to follow them, as you’ll be engaging content there that they won’t find anywhere else.
- Stay Alert. Make sure (initially) you get an email when someone comments to your Facebook and Twitter. Later, you’ll turn this off because there will be too much excitement!
- Engage! Talk to people just as you would a friend. Be confident, consistent, knowledgeable and fun. You’ll make friends fast!
- Don’t stop. Nothing makes you lose social credibility faster than if you drop your communications with your customers because it either becomes overwhelming or you think it’s not working. If 10 people like you, then be there for those 10 people.
- Eventually, hire a professional social media representative. Don’t get an intern to do it part time, this will cause you more heartache than good.